Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Intruduction to this Blog

This blog is created for the descendants of George Swainston and Mary Groom. There are two types of entries that are hoped for to be put on this blog. First is authenticated history with sources and who is furnishing the history. The book "A Swainston Family History" that Theron Lane Swainston Jr. published in 2003 is a good example of authenticated histories. The book is 530 pages but only has brief entries for many family members. It is hoped that this blog can be useful for the family histories, legacies and traditions which can be shared with multiple generations.

The second type of entry is the stories that are not authenticated. As my great Uncle Harold put it, or maybe it was my great Uncle Bill, (both sons of Heber Swainston) there is no reason ruining a good story by sticking to the facts. An example is a story that is told of Uncle Bill. He had horses and beef cows. The story goes that one day a man came and wanted to buy a horse from him. So they went out to look at the horses. The man picked out the horse he wanted and Uncle Bill told him "You don't want that horse. It doesn't look too good."
The man said "No, that is the horse I want."
Uncle Bill countered "No, that horse doesn't look to good"
The man countered "That horse looks fine for me."
At that Uncle Bill agreed to sell him the horse.
The next day the man was back and very upset. He accused Uncle Bill of selling him a blind horse.
Uncle Bill told him "I kept trying to tell you it didn't look to good."
At a Heber Swainston and Rosa Lane reunion about 5 years I told the story to Max Palmer a grandson of Uncle Bill. Max said he had never heard that story before. Viva, Uncle Bills youngest daughter was standing nearby so I asked her if the story was true. She said the story about the horse was not true. It was a cow.

My father, Heber Campell Swainston, said that the early reunions he remembers there were many stories that didn't necessarily stick to the facts. I think it is important to share these stories too but I point out that if they are not authenticated then They must be concidered as one which is not bound by the facts.
I have been a officer in the George Swainston and Mary Groom Family Orgainization for the last six years. During this time I have pondered the legacy of our grandparents. In 1852 they joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints while living in Beachwood Green, Hertfordshire, England. They had the desire to emigrate to Utah. It took 20 years for the family to save enough money to send Albert George Swainston the oldest son to America. It only took a year in America to earn enought to go back to England and bring his next younger brother Ebenezer James Swainston back to Utah and Idaho with him. Over the next six years they worked together to earn enought for the rest of the family. It took until 1882 to get the whole family to America. Mother Mary insisted that she would be in the last group to leave, refusing to leave any living child in England. Mary's resolve over 30 years is a legacy and inspiration to me.




7 comments:

Marg said...

Hi Tim,
I'm glad to see you got the new Swainston blog going! It will be nice to share family information from other Swainston's and get to know them. I'd like to invite everyone to visit the George and Mary Swainston web site also! Here's the link: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~swainfam/index.html/

Good luck!
Margaret

Wayne said...

Hello fello Swainston descendants :)

My name is Wayne Roy Thomson, My father is Roy Beck Thomson who is the Son of Royle Swainston Thomson and Mary Leora Beck.

I thank you for the opportunity that has been offered to me to link up with fellow descendants of the Swainston Family.

Currently, I am working to get my immediate family data updated, and it is quite a challenge with all the descendants that have blessed my fathers life.

Thanks again for this opportunity.

Wayne R. Thomson
dad2xgr8@hotmail.com

Marg said...

Hi Wayne,
I’m Margaret. A fellow Swainston living in beautiful Colorado. You are probably aware of this but just for the fun of it here’s a little about our family ties. Your great grandmother Mary Ann departed England on the 5 June 1880 at age 13 aboard the ship Wisconsin and arrived at Castle Garden New York on the 15 June 1880. She traveled with her older sister Agnes who was 22 and her brother George Jr. who was 17 at the time. George Jr. was my great grandfather. His 2nd son Parley was my grandfather and Parley’s son Parley Tanner was my father. I am the oldest of his 9 children. Nice to meet you shipmate!

Yes, getting your immediate family’s records updated is an ongoing challenge – they keep growing, changing, doing more things and of course new family members come along as those wonderful babies (grandchildren) we all love so much.

Welcome to the Swainston Blog!
Margaret

snyder1973 said...

Hi my name is eva kim snyder and my grandma is neva joyce swainston perry and her father is howard swainston son of george swainston jr son of george swainston and mary groom. If anyone has any additional info please email me at snyder1973@msn.com

thank you

Eva snyder

Bonnie Lillywhite :) said...

Hi Everyone,

I am a Swainston decendant through Mary Emily Swainston Broadbent's daughter Mary Delsa Broadbent Poulsen. I am trying to locate a picture of Ebenezer James Swainston for a project I am doing for my kids for Christmas. Does anyone know if there is such a thing available? Also, I would be interested in seeing a copy of the Swainston Family History book that I saw mentioned on this blog. Does anyone know how a copy can be obtained?
Thanks for any help!

Bonnie Lillywhite :o)

Ana Maria Swainston said...

Hola
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo to my fello Swainston descendants
My name is Ana Maria Swainston
My father was Breant Robert Swainston from Idaho his father was Robert B. Swainston from Idaho and his father they told me they would call him Curly Swainston so if any one has more info please let me know I would love to know more family info e-mail me at swainstonana@yahoo.com

Grandpa S said...

I am glad to see there are a few comments on this blog since I last looked at it. I am Tim Swainston who started this blog.
Last Friday and Saturday we had a family reunion in Preston at the Preston North Stake center. This church house was built was while my grandfather Heber Charles Swainston was bishop of the Preston 7th ward. It was the Oneida Stake at the time a building also housed the Oneida Stake.
The reunion for Heber Swainston and May Campbell family. While I was there I was talking to my first cousin Carolyn Keel and her husband Rich. I told them about them map posted on the George and Mary Groom web site http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~swainfam/index.html/ of where the Swainston homesteaded when they came to America.